Inserting images or charts are greyed out in Excel. So you want to add a charts, image or drawing to your Excel workbook, but the buttons are greyed out like in the screenshot below.
Causes / Fix
There are two possible causes:
- You are inside a cell, typing something. In that case just press enter or escape on the keyboard to leave the cell.
- Objects are hidden within the Excel settings. In that case follow the steps below:
There is a setting in Excel with says “For objects, show:”. Here you can select if you want to show all objects, including images, charts, drop-down lists and so on. Objects are in general everything which is not inside cells.
- Go to File and click on Options.
- On the left side click on “Advanced”.
- Scroll down to the “Display options for this workbook:”. The last bullet point says “For objects, show:”. Set the tick at “All”.
Now the buttons shouldn’t be greyed out any longer.